Studying in Germany

Studying in Germany

Am I allowed to study in Germany?

As a refugee, in principle, you may study at German higher education institutions, however, some prerequisites have to be fulfilled. Details on those requirements as well as information on points of contact we'll summarize in the following. This video is another good starting point.
Which requirements do I have to fulfill?

In most of the cases, you are treated like any other international applicant that wants to study in Germany. Because of that you have to fulfill the following requirements:
  1. You have to have a university entrance qualification 
  2. You have to have sufficient language skills, as the teaching language is usually German. Sometimes there are also courses and programs in English, especially at Master's degree courses
  3. Depending on the studies additional qualifications are necessary, like e.g. motivational letters or prove of internships
I have studied before, is it possible to get my previous achievements recognized?

If you have studied before fleeing already, you may also have your achievements recognized. However, as for general studies, a couple of requirements have to be fulfilled. The websites of ANABIN and "Anerkennung in Deutschland" are giving detailed information on how to get previous achievements recognized. (Unfortunately only available in German) 

How can I get a university entrance qualification?

If your school leaving certificate doesn't give you the required qualification to start studying in Germany, or if the proofs are missing, you have to take an examination (Feststellungsprüfung) at a so-called "Studienkolleg" in Germany. A Studienkolleg is an institution, usually at universities, which also offers relevant courses to different subjects. If you pass this exam, you are eligible for studying in Germany - this will be your university entrance qualification.

Which language skills do I have to have and how can I prove them?

In order to qualify for a regular course at a German university, you have to be able to demonstrate at least German skills at C1-level. There are various language tests, e.g. TestDaF or DSH, that you can do to prove your knowledge. However, the regulations can vary from university to university and from study to study. It is best to ask directly at the university of your choice.
Here again the most important language tests:
  • TestDaF (Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache): This test takes place six times a year. Here you can find information on the location of the examinations, dates, costs, possibilities to apply as well as further information
  • DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber): The DHS can only be taken in Germany. A lot of universities offer the possibility of taking the test, dates available at the universities.
What can I do if my German skills aren't strong enough yet?

If your German language skills are not strong enough to study in Germany, you can take language courses to reach a higher level. Information about courses in and around Schönaich can be found here. In case you want to learn and practice on your own, here are some links and suggestions. 
Where and how can I apply to study in Germany?

You will find detailed information and explanations in German and English here. This video can also give you first insights.

What can I do, to get to know German universities?

At some universities there are special offers for refugees, such as e.g.:
  • Guest student programs
  • Schnupperstudium (Tryout programs)
  • Participation in orientation programs or so-called gap/bridge-courses ("Brückenkurse")
  • Supplementary courses
These are great ways of getting to know a university, getting in contact with other students and find out more about a particular program you might be interested in.

Where can I visit a university somewhere close to Schönaich?

The next big university is located in Stuttgart. In the following we have compiled some information for you already, however, if you are interested it is probably best to inform yourself directly at the university. 

How can I participate in courses there?

Currently, depending on what requirements are fulfilled, there are three possibilities to take part in courses at the university of Stuttgart:
  1.  Guest lectures: In Stuttgart you have the possibility of registering as a guest student. This status would allow you to take part in courses, lectures and tutorials of the Studium Generale, however, you would not be allowed to collect credit points and write examinations. You can get registered at any time. As a refugee, parts of the tuition fees will be waived. More information and access to the necessary documents you can find here: How to become a guest student at the University of Stuttgart"
  2. Non-Degree Student: As a non-degree student, you are considered to be part of an exchange program at the university. However, even if you are not part of any exchange program, you can enroll for a 6-month course at the university. In this case you are also eligible to take part in examinations and collect credit points. Enrollment is possible after having applied regularly. Temporary students have to pay a tuition fee of EUR 170, this, however, e.g.  includes a ticket for public transport. For further information please visit their  Website: "Department for International Affairs"
  3. Regular studies: If all requirements are met, and you apply on time, it is also possible to study at Stuttgart as a regular student. Information on this option and all relevant links can be found  here
For current information and for any additional questions just contact the university directly. Contact persons for refugees at the University Stuttgart is Mrs. Nina Jürgens. Her contact details and office hours you can find here.

Additional helpful links
  • Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg: Information on studying for refugees. Go to website 
  • Landesrektorenkonferenz Forschungsuniversitäten Baden-Württemberg: Urgent action program for refugees
  • Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst:  Go to website
  • Study in Germany: General information both for refugees and international students. FAQs for refugees
  • Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge: special information about studies in Germany: Studium in Deutschland.
  • Studieren in Deutschland: Information on "refugees study in Germany". Detailed information about all kinds of aspects around studies and studies and application   
Share by: