Medical Care

Medical care during the asylum process

What do I have to consider?

If you have been living in Germany for less than 15 months

If your asylum process is not yet completed and you have not been in Germany for more than 15 months, you probably don't have an electronic health card. That means that you can't just visit a doctor of your choice, but that you first have to get a "Behandlungsschein" - a treatment certificate. A "Behandlungsschein" is only available if you are acutely ill, suffering from pain, or if you are pregnant. Either your social support in Schönaich, or the medical assistants in the respective doctor's office can ask for a "Behandlungsschein" in the "Sozialamt" (social welfare office). It is therefore good to have the details of your contact at the Sozialamt to be able to show it to the medical assistant or also your social support staff. 

In case of complaints consult a general practitioner first. If necessary he/she can transfer you to a specialist. A transfer and the actual reasons for this transfer, however, have to be examined by the "Landratsamt". This means that you usually get an appointment with the "Gesundheitsamt" (Health office), where you are then examined by an official physician. After that you will be able to get an appointment with a specialist. Of course this will take some time, therefore it is important to submit the transfer to the "Landratsamt" as soon as possible.

If you have been living in Germany for more than 15 months

If you have been living in Germany for more than 15 months you are eligible for an electronic health card that you can apply for at the "Sozialamt". With an electronic health card you can visit a doctor directly. If you want to apply for such a card please contact your social support staff.

If your asylum process has been completed

If your asylum process has already been completed, you must insure yourself with a health insurance of your choice. It is best to go to an office of the health insurance with your ID to fill in an application for membership. After a few weeks you will then be given an electronic health card. 

More information can be found here (Online-guide of the Federal Ministry of Health)
    Back to "Links and Tips" Back to "Health"
    Share by: